4 Summer Health Tips
July 1, 2014
Fire Up the Grill!
Grilling out is one of the best things about summer, but it doesn't have to be all about steaks, burgers, and processed meats like hot dogs and brats. Next time you light the coals, add a few veggies to your cookout. Here are a few ways to make use of summer produce:
- Grill corn on the cob: Open the husk to remove the silk, then close it up to grill it again for juicy, flavorful kernels.
- Make kebabs: One of the easiest ways to grill veggies is to make kebabs. Cut up bell peppers, zucchini, and onions, then add mushrooms and cherry or grape tomatoes and grill along with your protein.
- Use foil packets: If kebabs aren't your style you can always grill veggies in foil packets. You can also add herbs or spices to give them extra flavor.
Get more recipes and healthy eating advice in our Retrofit Recipes section.
Don't Fall Prey to Party Food
Summer is generally filled with backyard barbecues, happy hours, and picnics with friends and family-all of which can be a minefield for overeating. Follow these tips to make sure you stay balanced:
- Opt for a smaller plate: Use an appetizer size plate for your meal so you aren't tempted to over fill it.
- Fill up on fruits & veggies: Just remember to skip the dip.
- Drink water: Not only will it help you avoid extra calories from beer or wine, you'll stay fuller and hydrated in the heat.
Get Active to Reduce Stress
Feeling stressed out? One of the best things you can do is get moving. Not only does it boost endorphins, regular exercise can also help boost your self-confidence and help you sleep better. If you have trouble fitting in a long workout, break it up. Short bursts of activity-even a 10-minute walk at lunchtime-will give you the same results.
Work with an exercise coach at Retrofit to find the workout plan that works for you.
Give Yourself a Day Off
On the weekend it's tempting to tackle that ever-growing to-do list, but there's something to be said for giving yourself a day off and just slowing down. Use that day off to focus on your priorities and ditch the to-dos that you don't need to do. Plus, it's amazing what a little R&R can do for your mindset.
Join Retrofit now to learn how our coaches can help you live more mindfully.
Know someone who would like this blog post? Pass it on!